Thursday, August 29, 2013

Swan and Swann

The Herb Garden at Sissinghurst
Swans are not something I have spent much time thinking about, but they keep popping up on this trip. I am reading Swann's Way; the first story of Marcel Proust's immense novel, In Search of Lost Time. I am reading the Moncrieff/Kilmartin edition, a few pages at a time, savouring Proust's incomparable prose. Here is his description of the evocative nature of taste and smell:

"But when from a long distance past nothing subsists, after the people are dead, after the things are broken and scattered, taste and smell alone, more fragile but more enduring, more immaterial, more persistent, more faithful, remain poised a long time, like souls, remembering, waiting, hoping, amid the ruins of all the rest; and bear unflinchingly, in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence, the vast structure of recollection".

Isn't it perfect? And true? When I go on a long holiday, I buy a different perfume and every time I smell the scent of that perfume the memories of the holiday rush back. Miss Dior will always remind me of Chamonix, Midnight Poison of Greece and Turkey (and one of the worst hangovers I have ever had after a night on Turkish raki. Never again.), Allure, of a night of wicked abandon in a bolthole. This holiday I am wearing Guerlain Le Petite Robe Noire. Other scents that will remind me of Sissinghurst are freshly mown grass and thyme. There are two thyme carpets outside the Herb Garden, which is redolent with different varieties.
You can see corners of the thyme carpets at the bottom of the photo

I meant to write about swans, somehow I have rambled off and ended up in a herb garden. Anyway, we saw Swan Lake at The Royal Opera House in Covent Garden last week. Having previously listened to Tchaikovsky with much eye-rolling, I was moved to tears by the beauty of the music and dancing in the ballet. It was also much fun sitting in the Balconies Restaurant beforehand, people-watching. There were a number of women wearing dresses that threatened to malfunction while they staggered around on tremendously high heels. It was cruel and yet strangely pleasing to watch with breathless anticipation as they lurched and wobbled their way through the crowd. 

Swans greeted our arrival at Lake Geneva in Collonge-Belle Rive, in Lucerne and at Hever Castle and I have already referred to the Leda and the Swan sculpture in the gardens at Hever. 


Swans are revered in Europe, I suppose because of their beauty, and only the monarch may eat swan meat as she owns most of the swans. I know this thanks to the late Peter Cook, who was very fond of swans, bees and tadpoles. Who can forget the Pete and Dud sketch that included this exchange:


`Have you ever wanted to eat a swan?' `Now that you mention it. . . No.'
`My heart goes out to those people who crave the flesh of the swan. You see, that is not one of our inalienable rights. Only the Queen and her direct relatives are allowed to cram huge wodges of roast swan down their gobs ....'
This is our last day in Sissinghurst and I am very, very sad to be leaving but very, very grateful we were able to stay here. 
The White Garden from the Tower. Priest House is on the far left.


 
The White Garden



A country walk 

Nigel and Ben Nicolson built this in honour of their father, Harold. Nigel wrote there in summer. 


2 comments:

  1. If you ever want Proust a little more accessible, I recommend Neville Jason’s readings on Naxos http://www.naxosaudiobooks.com/proust.htm. He has recorded the entire work, but there is also an abridged version of each book, as well as a shorter ‘Essential Remembrance of Things Past’. Jason introduces his reading here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG14r4EZpJU.

    Nice pix. I'd very much like to visit Sissinghurst, but I believe it’s very crowded in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will check out the audiobook and the abridged versions.

      Sissinghurst was heavenly. It wasn't too crowded, perhaps because it is the end of summer and the roses were finished. I would recommend visiting in the afternoon at about 4. The garden closes at 5:30 and gardens look beautiful in late afternoon light.

      Delete